Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Potty Training Chronicles

Part One:

I haven't wanted to jinx it by gushing too soon, but at last we have a little girl who is going pee pee on her potty!

I was starting to think she'd be wearing diapers in her teens, because she has maintained such a vehement aversion to the potty for the better part of a year now. I have tried to remain sensitive to her feelings, while still encouraging her to try the potty, but not making a big deal out of it when she would refuse. So, just like all other milestones with Ruby, last week she just made up her mind that it was alright, and actually replied yes when I asked her if she wanted to try and sit on the potty! My first instinct was always to be very nonchalant about the whole potty thing, but this is Ruby we are talking about! The little performer that she is, she has responded very well to generous accolades and encouragement, as well as stickers to put on her potty, and.... yes, sugary treats. I never wanted to stoop so low as bribing my kid with promises of ice cream, cookies, and m&ms, but hey, whatever works. Mama can't afford diapers anymore!

We have a long road ahead, but at least we have started the journey. It is funny for me to think about, because when Ruby was a baby, she was so fiercely determined to achieve those initial physical milestones of pushing up, rolling over, standing up, and walking. She did all of those things extremely fast it blew my mind, and left me more than a little bit wanting that she would stay a "baby" just a little bit longer. Yet as a toddler, the emotional milestones of weaning and learning to use the potty have been difficult for her to fully embrace, and it seems as Aaron and I are encouraging her to become independent, she desires to remain a baby. I can identify with this mental state. Change is hard, and can be really scary for some people who are comfortable with routine and knowing what is to come next.

But I digress, Ruby is doing an excellent job at navigating this transitional time in her life, and I am so overwhelmingly proud, touched, and honored to be her mother, and witness the beauty of her blossoming spirit. One thing hasn't changed, the girl is a firecracker!

4 comments:

steph said...

Hooray, Ruby! Henry was the same way: lots of praise, stickers, and special treats. Whatever works!

Alicia {Murry Mayhem} said...

WooHoo Ruby! So proud of her! Caroline loved bubble gum!

Jenny said...

Yay! We just potty trained here... labor day weekend I declared enough was enough. He threw one fit, and then he was fine and has been ever since. Oddly, he did not respond to bribery at all, he just announced the first few times "Oh, I am so proud of me!" and that was that. :)

sheltonfamily said...

Alright, Ruby! Such a big change for a little girl (and her mama!)... very exciting!