Thursday, April 16, 2009

MEMORY

Yes, you are supposed to sing the title, because that is one of Ruby's favorite past times at the moment. That, and reading. Which leads me to the purpose of this blog. Ruby has made, of course, beyond a ton of developmental leaps since my last posts. She is still quite the little performer, and I'm already preparing myself for dance classes, theatre camps, or stand-up comedy. Everyone is always impressed by Ruby's vocabulary and language ability, as am I, but I think I'm just used to it. But the other day I have to confess I was so proud of my little girl, and in awe of the developing toddler brain. Ruby was reading her books in her room, and she has several memorized, but until now the memorization has consisted mostly of random words, strung together in "Ruby constructions" to describe what she knows is happening in the pictures. So when I walked into her room, saw her open one of her favorites, "Night Walk", and heard her read the opening page- "Outside in the garden, the blackbird sings her morning song" perfectly verbatim, I was so delighted!

Also, her Spanish vocabulary is growing, in part, thanks to Dora, but remember I took four semesters as well! She can now count from 1-5 en espanol, and has added "Hicimos!". She already says "vamanos" instead of let's go, and is working on "adios", "gracias", "permiso", and "salud". It's so much fun! I'll have to teach her "beso", so she and Julian can give each other muchos besos.
She also loves to toast now, and says "CHEERS" every time we sit down with drinks. So precious.

On to the singing. When we weaned, we replaced nursing before sleepy time with rocking in the chair and singing songs. I have been kept quite on my toes trying to learn words to tons of new songs, so neither of us get bored. Insodoing, Ruby has memorized quite a few herself and loves to belt them out to her heart's content. I'm not joking when I say belt, the girl is LOUD, and let me tell you, she can hold a note. Watch out American Idol, you ain't got nothin' on my little Ruby Claire.

I still can't believe how fast they transition from crying, helpless babies, to walking, talking, intelligently thinking, running, jumping, counting, singing, dancing, joking little people! It's still incredibly hard sometimes, to be the parent of a two-year old, but man the love is overpowering!


more posts to come about our wonderful Easter weekend visit, Scarborough Faire, and..... dadadaDA...... my impending graduation! Keep hangin' on, pictures are coming!!!!!!

No comments: